Sunday, November 25, 2018

Rhodes -Old Town

Rhodes Old Town:

Not long after returning from Prague, a few hours to be honest, I booked a last minute mini break to Rhodes. Being a non driver I rely on my feet and public transport to get me around and explore an area. I was based just slightly south east of Rhodes Old Town, approximately a 20 minute walk to be precise.




The Old Town is surrounded by medieval walls and is the oldest inhabited medieval town in Europe. It was assigned as a UNESCO World Heritage in 1988.
There are approximately 200 streets within the walls and it is very easy to get lost within the area, however this is all part of the adventure for me.
When the cruise ships are moored up then the streets become even more crowded with tourists and their guides.
Be sure to wear good footwear for the amount of walking you will do, I made the mistake of wearing flip flops. After walking around for nearly 9 hours in these my feet certainly knew it!

Castle: Entrance 6 euros

A fine example of a beautiful and well preserved medieval castle with its Gothic architecture. Many of the rooms are open to the public to view, are furnished and are full of artefacts. My favourite was the beautiful mosaic floors.





Museum & Art Galleries:

Take a wander around the museum too if you get time, always good to get out of the hot summer sun and into the coolness of these type of buildings.

Shopping:

A plethora of shops selling wares from high end brands to ceramics, jewellery, linen and leather goods, handmade items as well as the usual tacky souvenirs.

      
Restaurants:

Like any tourist area there is an abundance of restaurants, cafes and bars catering for every taste and budget. Whether they be along the seafront or within the walls of the Old Town. A favourite of mine of an evening was the El Toro Steakhouse.
I chose to have my lunchtime snacks from a cafe called Print and Coffee, a short walk from the hotel I was staying at.






Beaches:

I was lucky there was a beach at the end of the road from my hotel. Admittedly you have to cross a dual carriageway to reach it, don't worry there is a 'green man' crossing to reach the other side, and to be honest it is not a busy road. To access the beach you have to descend no more than 10 steps, there are also a couple of changing huts to get into/out of your swimwear. The beach is lovely and clean with plenty of bins dotted around so you can properly discard of any rubbish you might have. Nearer to Rhodes Old Town there is also a small beach, very popular with the locals and those from the cruise ships moored very nearby.

 


Hotel:

I stayed at the Comfort Hotel, comfort-hotel.gr on the outskirts of the Old Town, a basic hotel. Arriving after midnight, the receptionist had stayed up late to check me in. The doors to the hotel are locked at 11pm, however they do provide you with a key card so you can gain access whenever during the early hours of the morning. I had a lower ground floor room, it had all the essentials I required for my stay, sink, kettle, fridge, 2 ring electric hob, tv, very comfy bed and en-suite shower room.
Breakfast is available at an extra cost, mainly consisting of meats, cheeses and rolls. Air con and roof safes are available at extra cost too. There are also the occasional power cuts, though these don't last long.
The pool area is quiet & neglected, almost like they have forgotten about it.



The hotel staff are friendly and very helpful, providing a map of the area too if you require it.


More photos: 

 



Travel Arrangements:

I booked this mini break through http://travelrepublic.co.uk



No comments:

Cala'n Bosch, Menorca

Cala 'n Bosch, Menorca Situated on the south west coast of Menorca and approximately 55kms from Mahon Airport is the beautiful resort ...